Tuesday 27 October 2015

On the Road to Recovery

Today I finally feel as though I am making some real progress towards feeling myself again. Not quite the pre January 2014 self that was able to manage a full week of work in retail as well as 2-3 rehearsals a week and an aerial silks class but the self that I need to accept that I am until the magic phone call comes.

Whilst I still feel like I am walking around with not only a full-term baby sized spleen as well as a baby sized rock in my abdomen, this is a definite improvement on the 2 baby sized rocks from last week. I probably wouldn't be offended at this point if someone were to suggest I might be pregnant as I am fully aware that I look as though I could be. This probably isn't helped much by the fact that I tend to hold my swollen tummy to stop it from wobbling around uncomfortably!

Back to today and it's successes. 

I managed to drive myself (first time since coming out of hospital last Thursday) to Uni for a couple of meetings with my mentoring tutor and the DSA to discuss ways to make the course work for me. When I applied for the course, my health was looking relatively good and I hadn't had any admissions for over 6 months so I was confident that I would be able to manage. Recent events however, indicate that I might need to slow down a little bit and the University are really supportive with making sure this happens as best as possible. After a discussion with my mentor, we have concluded that whilst I would like to be able to attend the full day of lectures every week, there may not be much point as by the end of the day, little to nothing is being absorbed and I'm pretty done in both mentally and physically. Having taken advantage of the note-takers a couple of times now, it is clear that they are a great help and that I can, and should, take advantage of them. This frees me up to do a bit more study at my own pace and to be able to break lectures up into more manageable chunks. It does also mean that I am likely to find myself a bit behind at all times as it is taking me that bit longer to get through the necessary material. At the moment, I am OK with that. As so many people keep reminding me, my health must come first and I am not intending to be slack on the course and want to achieve a good result at the end of the day and there are ways of getting there without ending up in hospital again! The DSA appointment was helpful and they have suggested and put forward some really interesting software that will help with study at home and at Uni. This has all helped to make me feel a bit more relaxed about the course.

After a good rest at home, and managing to listen to one of my old lectures that has been recorded, I also managed to cook dinner and get out for a twenty minute twilight walk with the puppy dog. Luckily she is good at entertaining herself and spent most of the 20 minutes running in circles around me and tiring herself out. I loved being able to do this and even though my knees are a little sore now, I feel like it is a great improvement on the last few days. Fingers crossed that I haven't spoken too soon and that I don't suffer the consequences tomorrow. I have been sensible and broken the day up with an afternoon break and am now pretty much done for the day so all should be good!


A slightly demonic looking Coco Pup at the end of our evening walk!
Keep Smiling :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment