Monday 19 October 2015

Gall Bladder strikes again!

If you haven't read any of the Awkward Yeti cartoons, I love them and they keep my strange sense of humour satisfied. The 'Sad Gall Bladder' ones are a particular favourite.

In the early hours of Saturday morning, I woke up absolutely parched and feeling achey. I got up, got a glass of water, downed it, refilled it and drank another half glass before heading back to bed with the remainder. Shortly after, the rest of glass 2 was gone but the aches had got to the point where I couldn't really move. My head felt like a lead weight and my neck was stiff. I was warm but with the covers off I felt shivery so snuggled right in and hoped for sleep. After a few hours, I thought it must be 'flu. Absolutely typical. My 'flu jab was booked for 9:49 on Saturday morning and with flu like symptoms, it's not a good idea to have the jab. I think it was probably about 6am when Caius noticed I wasn't quite right. He got me more water and checked my temperature which was running high. Half an hour later it had crept up further and the decision was made to go to A&E. This time, I dosed up on my steroids and took an antibiotic as per the suggestion of the consultant when I was discharged last time. Unfortunately this all came back up in the waiting room!

I was seen pretty quickly and sent through to a bed. This time, they actually listened to me and I was put right on IV antibiotics, sent for a chest x-Ray (mainly because I'd had chest pain) and had an ultra sound to double check there were no gall stones. The ultra sound showed that my gall bladder is 'angry'. That seems to be the understatement of the year! As Dad says, more like 'bloody furious!'

The last few days have been spent questioning how this happened again so soon... Did I go back to work too quickly after the last admission? Was it because I ate too much on Friday night? Have I overdone it? Then there are all the questions about the future... Will this become a new pattern? When can I go back to work properly? Will I keep letting work down by ending up in hospital? And then come the biggest question of all- When is that phone call going to come?

The phone call that will mean I will never have to worry about a gall bladder infection again as I won't have one anymore. No more missing out on friends birthday celebrations because I've been admitted to hospital. Being able to make plans and know with more certainty that I will be able to go through with them. The option to book a holiday abroad - oh for some real sunshine! This phone call will mean so much to me and I am willing that phone to ring and to find that the next time is the right liver for me. 

For now, I'll muddle along and will keep positive- I still have so much to be thankful for!

Keep Smiling :-)

Update: it's Monday evening and I have been moved to the liver ward. It's not as spacious and much more chaotic than MAU but I will be seen by the right team here. I was hoping to be discharged today but am still in quite a bit of pain when the painkillers wear off. I have been introduced to fentanyl during this stay and boy is that stuff magic! Things are a little bit crazy and emotional to say the least but I do now have Netflix (and possibly an addiction to Dexter). Recommendations welcome :-)

2 comments:

  1. I love you so much Jenni and I will always be nearby with grapes, non-hospital meals and a loving embrace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My knight in shining armour! Saving me from the horrors of hospital food on a regular basis... Xxx

      Delete