Sunday 20 September 2015

What's in the bag?

I have had differing advice about 'The Bag'... I've gone with the following:

The Bag:
A lovely little number, I'm sure you will agree! It's a fairly sensibly sized, easy to carry, holdall type overnight bag.








What's in it...

Pyjamas:
Somewhat creased having been in the bag for 6 months now but they are super comfy PJ's










Pants:
For this particular situation, I'm definitely going for comfort over style... 











Socks:
Snuggly slipper socks perfect for wandering around the hospital in (there's also a purple pair in the bag!)










Sleeping Aids:
Hospitals are notoriously noisy and bright - not conducive to the sleep that is so essential to recovery. Hopefully an eye mask and some ear plugs should help out a little bit! (Although on the whole I find both quite uncomfortable)








Medications:
A small selection of the most vital of my medications. This is a new addition to the bag after the last visit. I received 'the call' in the early morning before taking my medication and since I was not sure if I was going into surgery, I did not take my meds. I probably should have checked with the nurse who called whether or not to take them but anyway, I didn't. By the time I was told the surgery was not going ahead it was 3pm, I hadn't eaten and still hadn't had my meds. This meant that I was in an awful lot of pain. Without my steroids, my muscles become very achy and even the slightest touch is painful. My joints start to hurt and I get horrific headaches, which is exactly how I felt at the end of the last visit. As I didn't have any meds with me, I then had to wait for the hospital to get some sorted before I went home. There was no way I would have been able to make the 2 1/3 hour drive home without them. To this end, I now have this small stash in 'The Bag' in case something similar happens next time I am called in.

A Towel:
Hospital towels are small and thin. I have a feeling that (gross as it is) I won't be showering myself for a few days but it's still nice to have a semi-decent towel to look forward to after that first proper shower!









Shower bits and bobs:
Again, hospital shower stuff is not the nicest so I thought some of the bits that I like might be appreciated when I'm able to use them. I absolutely love the Mango Mayhem shower gel and can't seem to get it anymore so I'm glad I grabbed that one when I did! (Simple things!)




Dental Hygiene:
Because no one wants to hug someone with stinky breath!











The Toiletries Bag:
My favourite bit in the bag- my sailing toiletries bag to keep all the little bits and pieces neat and tidy!










Shoes:
Another new addition to 'The Bag'... After the last visit, I ended up wandering around cafes, car parks and service stations in my slipper socks. I wanted to be as comfy as possible on the drive up but forgot that if things didn't go ahead, I would need to walk to places! Problem now solved!








So there we have it. My hospital bag. I suspect that most of the bits and pieces will be completely irrelevant the first few days after surgery and the idea of having a bag is a complete waste of time. It does however, make me feel as though I am slightly prepared so whether or not I use it, I still feel better having it!

Keep Smiling :)

No comments:

Post a Comment