Saturday 19 September 2015

Dress rehearsal: the review

It's been over a week since the dress rehearsal and I think it has hit me harder than I first thought it had.

Example: my phone started buzzing at me on Thursday and when I saw that the number was 'unknown', my heart leapt into my throat and I couldn't get out of the room fast enough to answer it!

I have also been struggling to sleep and find myself waking up in the early hours with an awful lot of rubbish whirling through my mind and unable to get myself back to sleep. Any suggestions to relieve this would be welcomed!

The main question that has popped up since last week has been 'why didn't the hospital find out if the liver was fatty before calling me in?'

There are a few branches to the answer to this question.

1. Time - once there is no blood supply to any of the organs, there is a very limited amount if time to get the organ into the recipient,

2. A donor is likely to be donating more than one organ, all of which need to be harvested and checked. The donors family and friends are already going through a traumatic experience and the last thing they want is for their loved one to be whisked away in their last moments to undergo a series of tests to check each of their organs.

3. Fatty liver itself is a often a silent disease. 

A healthy size person may have a fatty liver and equally, someone who is overweight does not automatically mean they have fatty liver.

It is often picked up through unrelated blood tests that might be carried out and there are often no symptoms.

For more information about fatty liver, check out the British Liver Trust page on Non-Alcohol Related Fatty Liver Disease.

Keep Smiling :)

No comments:

Post a Comment