Sunday 7 February 2016

It's Getting Hot in Here...

The heat at times was unbearable... I think I had to be reminded a few times that stripping off was inappropriate! A number of times, the doctors would come round to examine me and want to but blankets over my legs which I was not impressed with. I had gone past the stage of wanting to retain my dignity and would happily have lifted up my gown and flashed the very attractive hospital nappy pants that I had to wear. In the end I gave in though.

Mum and Caius worked hard to try and keep me comfortable and bought in cool packs, mist sprays, cold flannels and even a couple of ice packs. The bed I was in was a special air bed designed for use in patients that aren't particularly mobile. One of the problems with it though, is that it retains heat making it very warm. By Tuesday 3rd November, I was more mobile and spending a reasonable amount of time sitting in my chair. The problem with the chair was that it was plastic and also very hot. Not only that, but the amount that I was sweating meant that I got completely stuck to the chair! I ended up trying to cover the chair in towels so that I could sit comfortably. The trouble with sitting was that it took a lot of energy, energy that I didn't quite have so ended up needing to get back into the boiling hot bed! I was in a perpetual state of being uncomfortably hot. If only hospitals were allowed to open windows - a bit of fresh air would have been an absolute godsend!
Chilling out with Dad. In my right hand is my PCA. The towel on my tummy was to help me cough- coughing was less painful when I pressed on a towel on my abdomen. This is a well used technique after abdominal surgery.


To add to the general heat of the ward and the bed, one of the side effects of fentanyl is sweating. After dosing myself up with fentanyl, I would break out in sweats but needed the pain relief! Again, a perpetual cycle of discomfort. 

The team were trying to bring the fentanyl dosage down but unfortunately I was still in quite considerable pain.

There was a light at the end of the tunnel... The ward I was on was a temporary arrangement whilst the actual ward was being refurbished. We were due to move to the proper ward the following week so I wouldn't have to put up with the heat for too much longer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment